There are a lot of people out there who could use a good therapist only they don’t know it. Do you wonder if you could use a therapist’s help but always seem to talk yourself out of it? You could think you are functioning just fine and still be in need of help. When you are in the middle of a stress fog you may be the last person to see just how stressed out you are. Maybe someone outside the stress says you need help. In that case, resist the urge to get defensive (i.e. spit in their eye). Listen to your friend. Listen really carefully and ask yourself if they might be right. Meanwhile, let’s take the Do I Need Therapy? Quiz!
(This quiz assumes you have seen a physician within the last year and medically you are well.)
THE “Do I Need Therapy?” QUIZ
Answer Yes or No to the following:
- I wake up without energy no matter how much I sleep.
- My sleep is totally messed up.
- Often when I eat I wonder “Why am I eating this?”
- I hate my body.
- I am bored.
- I need to drink in order to relax.
- The thought of changing anything in my life, even things I know it would be good to change, just makes me feel tired or anxious.
- I feel restless a lot but have no motivation to do anything.
- I am jealous of my friends.
- I know I’m smart but I’m mad at myself for making bad choices.
- I feel like the years are passing me by and I’m nowhere.
- I am in a relationship that weighs me down but I’m afraid to leave.
- I’m a loser magnet. I date one disaster after another.
- I dread (circle as many as apply)…
- going home after work
- going to work
- looking for a new job
- meeting up with friends
- running into acquaintances at the store
- the future
- Whenever I spend money, time, or attention on myself I feel guilty.
- Maybe this really is as good as it gets and I should settle.
- I’ve been feeling this way for over a month.
If you answer Yes to any of the questions from the Do I Need Therapy? Quiz AND Yes to the last question, consider a consultation with a good therapist. Therapy may give you just the lever you need to break free from whatever is holding you back from your whole-hearted happiness. If you are in the area of Buffalo, New York or East Amherst, New York we have two convenient locations. If you are outside the Buffalo, NY region we can set up a secure Video Conferencing session.
Elvira G. Aletta, PhD, Founder & CEO
Life gave Dr. Aletta the opportunity to know what it’s like to hurt physically and emotionally. After an episode of serious depression in her mid-twenties, Dr. Aletta was diagnosed with a rare kidney disease that relapsed throughout her adulthood. While treatable, the cure was often as hard to bear as the disease. Later she was diagnosed with scleroderma, another chronic illness.
Throughout, Dr. Aletta battled with anxiety. Despite all this, Dr. Aletta wants you to know, you can learn to engage in life again on your terms.
Good therapy helped Dr. Aletta. She knows good therapy can help you. That’s why she created Explore What’s Next.
Today Dr. Aletta enjoys mentoring the EWN therapists, focusing on coaching and psychotherapy clients, writing and speaking. She is proud and confident that Explore What’s Next can provide you with therapists who will help you regain a sense of safety, control and joy.
716.308.6683 | email@example.com