Today is my twenty-fifth wedding anniversary. Ours is not a perfect marriage, thank God, and I certainly do not assume that what worked for us will do for everyone. Being in a romantic mood, however, I thought I'd share some of what I think got us here. Not in order of importance…
- Not being afraid of a good fight.
- Honoring the four rules of engagement.
- I learned to save a penny.
- He learned to live in the moment.
- Holding hands.
- Avoiding sarcasm.
- Not sweating the small stuff.
- Each wanting the other to be happy.
- Apologizing quickly.
- Saying thank you, also quickly.
- Remembering we're on the same team.
- Honoring each other as co-parents.
- Listened, even when it was hard.
- Not trying to 'fix it' unless asked.
- Maintaining reasonably healthy habits.
- Investing in each others' individual dreams.
- Caring for each others' families.
- Provided safe emotional haven for each other.
- Learned intimacy is about a hell of a lot more than sex.
- Called to check in if plans changed.
- We laugh.
- Enjoyed a good glass of wine (or is it a glass of good wine?).
- Proud of what we've managed to do with our lives so far.
- Married the right person to begin with.
Photo courtesy of Wouter van Doorn via Flickr
Congratulations on 25 years!